Darren M. Dawson
Darren M. Dawson represents clients with injuries suffered as a result of medical and dental malpractice, personal injury, and motor vehicle accidents. He has appeared on behalf of clients in the North Carolina Superior and District Courts as well as the North Carolina Court of Appeals. He is also admitted to practice in the United States District Courts for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of North Carolina, and the United States Court of Federal Claims.
Mr. Dawson graduated from the Campbell University School of Law in 1992. As a law student, Mr. Dawson was selected to the National Trial and National Evidence Moot Court teams, and received the Order of the Barristers Advocacy Award. Upon graduation, he began his legal career in Greenville as a litigation attorney. In 1998, he joined a personal injury firm where he negotiated claims for clients ranging from minor traffic accidents to multi-million dollar catastrophic injuries.
As a senior attorney, Mr. Dawson has litigated wrongful deaths and brain injuries claims, as well as actions for spectator injuries suffered at major sporting events. Past cases include representation of plaintiffs injured in a 2000 bridge collapse at Charlotte Motor Speedway in the In Re: Pedestrian Walkway Failure litigation, one of the largest mass disaster cases in North Carolina history, and representation of children against the Medicaid Dental Center for unnecessary and excessive dental treatment in cases which received national media coverage.
Mr. Dawson and Harry Albritton formed Dawson & Albritton, P.A. in 2006. Together the attorneys have represented hundreds of injured victims throughout North Carolina, and have recovered over $25 million on behalf of clients. Their primary focus remains in helping injured victims of auto accidents, medical and dental malpractice. After securing a $2.25 million settlement for a paralyzed marine in 2017, Mr. Dawson was accepted into the Multi-Million Dollars Advocates Forum, a prestigious group of trial attorneys with fewer than 1% of U.S. lawyers as members. The recovery was recognized in NC Lawyers Weekly as the 15th largest settlement/verdict in North Carolina for 2017.
Mr. Dawson has been selected to The National Trial Lawyers Top 100 and America’s Top 100 High Stakes Litigators, professional organizations composed of the premier trial lawyers from across the country. He has also been given a BV Martindale Hubbell peer review rating indicating an exemplary reputation and a high professional standing. His legal abilities have been judged to be “high to very high” by his peers, and he has a “very high” adherence to professional standards of ethics, reliability and diligence.
In his leisure time, Mr. Dawson and his wife, Jennifer, enjoy traveling with their two daughters. Mr. Dawson has been a soccer coach in the community for over 25 years, as well as regional supervisor of soccer officials for the NC High School Athletic Association.
Areas Of Practice
- Personal Injury
- Medical Malpractice
- Automobile Accidents
- Wrongful Death
- Dental Malpractice
100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- North Carolina, 1992
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of North Carolina, 1997
- U.S. District Court Middle District of North Carolina, 2003
- U.S. District Court Western District of North Carolina, 2003
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 2006
- Campbell University School of Law, Raleigh, North Carolina
- Juris Doctor – 1992
- Campbell University, Buies Creek, North Carolina
- Bachelor of Arts – 1989
- Major: Government
Professional Associations and Memberships
- North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina Bar Association
- North Carolina Advocates of Justice
- Pitt County Bar Association
- Wade Edwards High School Mock Trial Competition, Former NC Regional Coordinator
Honors and Awards
- Multi-Million Dollars Advocates Forum
- America’s Top 100 High Stakes Litigators
- The National Trial Lawyers Top 100
- NC Lawyers Weekly 15th largest settlement/verdict in North Carolina for 2017
- Martindale Hubbell BV peer review
Past Employment Positions
- Everett, Everett, Warren & Harper, Attorney, 1992 – 1994
- Mattox, Davis, Barnhill & Dawson, Partner, 1994 – 1998
- The Blount Law Firm, Attorney, 1998 – 2006